No matter how many times you’ve visited, Gatlinburg is home to a variety of Gatlinburg attractions and activities that are sure to delight visitors of every age and interest, and they’re guaranteed to never get old. For those looking to spark a bit of romance during their trip, the list is even longer, with plenty of fun outdoor adventure to take on together and hundreds of gorgeous sights to enjoy hand-in-hand. In fact, you might even have trouble choosing between the numerous opportunities that are perfect for you and your loved one to enjoy together. Luckily, we have a list of a few favorite romantic things to do in Gatlinburg TN you can refer to.
1. Hike to New Heights on Gatlinburg Hiking Trails
Take your love to new heights by taking on some of the best hiking trails in the country. From wildlife and Smoky Mountain wildflowers to gorgeous waterfalls and breathtaking views, Gatlinburg hiking trails lead to an unforgettable experience for two. It’ll be just you, your partner and nature while you’re out on the trail, so you’ll have plenty of time together while exploring the surprises these amazing trails offer around every corner.
Some of our favorite Gatlinburg hiking trails for two include:
- Indian Creek and Toms Branch Falls – 1.6 miles – Featuring two waterfalls along the way, this trail is a easy hike that makes a perfect morning activity before a fun day in Gatlinburg.
- Middle Prong Trail – 8.3 miles – Flowers as well as waterfalls are featured on this strenuous trail. The first two miles offer great wildflower viewing, including foamflower, toothwort, violets, wood sorrel and trilliums.
- Ramsey Cascades – 8 miles – While this trail is one of the most strenuous in Gatlinburg, the payoff is a 100-foot waterfall that is breathtaking during warm weather and spectacular in winter once the falls freeze, creating a beautiful ice column.
- Schoolhouse Gap Trail – 3.8 miles – This easy trail offers a wide range of spring and summer flowers, including some unusual species.
2. Discover a Phenomenal View
Beauty is around every corner in Gatlinburg. From stunning sunsets and sunrises to the fall leaf color change, you’ll have no problem discovering amazing views to marvel at with your special someone. Imagine spending some time just the two of you with the gorgeous sights of nature as the backdrop. It’s a recipe for romance.
Located off the Gatlinburg Bypass, the Gatlinburg Scenic Overlook is a perfect place to view the sparkling lights of the city and the beauty surrounding it. Head towards the overlook right at nightfall to get the best view of the city’s twinkling glow and a great sunset. For those willing to venture a little farther, Clingmans Dome offers a paved hike and a 360-degree panoramic view of the mountains that is nothing short of breathtaking. Sunrises and sunsets take on an entirely new type of beauty from this outlook. While this viewing point isn’t located right in the city as the Scenic Gatlinburg Overlook is, it remains a convenient point of interest that is by far one of the most romantic things to do in Gatlinburg TN during your stay.
A big part of truly enjoying the Gatlinburg area is taking advantage of the mountain air and scenery as much as possible. That’s why we suggest venturing to a nearby park to enjoy a plaid tablecloth and picnic basket packed for two. In addition to the obvious – but nonetheless amazing – Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg is home to plenty of sweeping green spaces and park areas to spend your a breakfast, lunch or dinner picnic.
A few popular parks in Gatlinburg that are ideal for romantic time spent with a basket of goodies atop gingham include:
- Mynatt Park – This park is the most popular and scenic park in Gatlinburg. Among picnic tables and grills, you’ll also find a pavilion, basketball court, tennis courts, horseshoe pits and baseball field.
- Mills Park – Offering picnic tables, grills, a softball field, tennis courts, jogging trails and a 100-meter track, Mills Park is ideal for a picnic enjoyed streamside.
- North Gatlinburg Park – Located on the right, just as you enter Gatlinburg coming from Pigeon Forge, this park offers visitors fishing areas, horseshoe pits and walking trails.
For more information about Gatlinburg parks that are perfect for romantic picnics for two, visit: City of Gatlinburg Parks.
4. Take a Scenic Drive in Gatlinburg
It’s easy to take in the natural beauty of Gatlinburg, even when your feet are a bit achy or your hiking muscles need a rest. Simply hop in the car and enjoy the sights from one of Gatlinburg’s scenic auto tours. Just don’t forget to hold hands across the console.
Known throughout the country for its picturesque scenery and active wildlife, Cades Cove Loop Road is a must-see spot that deserves a spot high on the list of romantic things to do in Gatlinburg TN. While this scenic drive offers great opportunities for hiking and exploring, the sights in Cades Cove are just as easily enjoyed while relaxing in your car. Grab a few snacks and a camera, and discover one of the most famous spots in the Smokies.
The similarly popular auto tour Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail offers gorgeous natural scenery and is nearby two of the most well-known waterfalls in the national park in the event you do decide to explore from outside your car. In addition to riding alongside the motor trail’s namesake, Roaring Fork stream, you’ll see both natural and historic landmarks, including rushing mountain streams, old-growth forests, several rustic log cabins, grist mills and other historic buildings all from the comfort of your car.
Interested in more opportunities for in-car sightseeing? Check out these amazing scenic drives in Gatlinburg.
There’s no end to the exciting and romantic things to do in Gatlinburg TN, but this list will definitely get you and your special someone started. Looking for more information about lighting a romantic spark during your visit? Read about the 4 ways renting a romantic cabin in Gatlinburg will improve your relationship.